Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Drawing

Today I decided I have not been writing enough. I think it’s because I have been focusing so much of my time and energy on other things. There is law school – the getting in, the applying for grants and scholarships, the stress of pulling off the impending move to North Carolina. And, there is my music. I’ve set a goal to get the bulk of my music recorded, available for purchase, and registered with ASCAP. And lastly, there’s my drawing, which I have been doing a lot of lately. All that coupled with my job and spending time with my friends, means that writing has taken a backseat, and that leads to wear I am, with a huge case of writer’s block. BUT THAT CHANGES RIGHT NOW! At least once a week, I plan on posting something. After all, writing is like a fire. Unless you’re there to stoke it and through another log on when it goes low, the flames go out, and it takes a lot of effort to start another one. So without further adieu...my first blog in awhile about drawing.

I can draw. I offer the following as proof...



And


I have been drawing for as long as I can remember. My mother tells me I started when I was old enough to hold a pencil. I can remember my grandfather bringing home boxes of used computer paper from the bank he worked at for me to draw on. I liked to draw everything, but I was always best at people. Drawing does all kinds of things for my senses. It brings my mind into focus and helps me relax. I used to draw for hours when I was in the hospital, and I would lose hours that I needed to lose. All my childhood it’s all I ever wanted to do, be an artist of some kind, do something I love for a living. Through junior high and high school I got better, and I was ready to take the next step in college and study art. Then something happened. After I actually got to college I found out that I hated it, or at least I thought I did. Studying art in college is a giant contest of who has the bigger dick, and sometimes you don’t have the bigger dick. I was the best pencil artist all through junior high and high school. I even won a contest for this drawing (even though I would find out that contests are a poor test of talent)


When I got to college, it soon became very apparent that I wasn’t the best, and that a very humbling experience, so humbling that I gave it up. I walked away from drawing for three years. I gave up on being an artist, became an English major and took up writing. As time went on, I realized I was missing the point. Drawing used to be fun and relaxing for me. Developing an ego and going to college sucked that fun out of me. At the urging of some friends I decided to take one more art class in college, and I’m glad I did. The teacher for that class rekindled that fun for me, he showed me that art could be non objective, and fun, and it didn’t have to look exactly like what you were intending to draw. “You gotta let the drawing be what it’s gonna be,” he would say. So I did, and I haven’t stopped since. I draw every night, and I love it again. I get my hands dirty, it relaxes me, and I get to create. Nothing else is better.

I will now finish out the rest of this blog with some other drawings of mine.



1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.